It is usually possible to find out whether a deceased person had any dormant bank accounts, insurance policies, pensions or store accounts without incurring a fee.


Searches for unclaimed assets can only be done by a legally entitled person i.e. someone who holds the appropriate Power of Attorney or the Executor/Administrator of an estate to act on their behalf. Separate applications must be made for every individual whose assets may be missing.

Here are some free online tools for helping you track down lost or dormant assets:



For lost pensions held in the UK you can call the Pension Tracing Service on 0800 731 0193, or via the UK GOV website here

Use the GOV.UK Pension Tracing Service online tool


Bank Accounts and Savings

For any bank, building society or National Savings & Investments accounts, this website will guide you through some simple steps to help find out if you have any un-claimed assets.

There are also commercial services which can be used although there will normally be a charge.

Experian's Unclaimed Assets Register (UAR) for Consumers


UK GOV – Estates list

If you think you may be a relative of someone who has died intestate and may therefore be entitled to make a claim on the estate you need to search the government website list of unclaimed estates and the procedure to follow.


NBS offers support, signposting and legal guidance following a bereavement, as well as offering guidance to anyone planning ahead in anticipation of their own death.

 Company number 09333323


0800 0246 121

Office 10, Consett Innovation Centre, Ponds Court Business Park, Genesis Way, Consett, County Durham, DH8 5XP

  • LinkedIn

© 2020 National Bereavement Service. Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions